In Sex in the City The Movie, Carrie gives Louise, her assistant, this sage piece of advice: “Enjoy yourself – that’s what your 20s are for. Your 30s are to learn the lessons. And your 40s are to pay for the drinks!
I am in awe that I am 39 years of age. My birthday was on October 15, 2014 and in the past month since then I cannot help but ponder, take it in and yes, smile about it. I am officially a grown a_ _ woman! Like, really?!!…. I am now approaching forty and that is a celebration to be had. This is my last year in my thirties and I have got to make it count! So between that fact and my pondering I conjured up a few, ok thirty lessons I have learned and could pass on. Caution, there are those I am more than aware of, learned the lesson but still have to remind myself to abide by it.
So here it goes:
1. Let go of perfection, or my idea of it, there is no such thing
2. Let it be. Whatever ‘it’ is.
3. No expectations of anyone else except yourself. People disappoint when you expect.
4. A good haircut/style and painted nails always allow you to look put together even when you are not.
5. Make time for family.
6. Make time for friends that are like family.
7. Make time for self. Even date yourself. Try it! It is awesome and liberating.
8. Simplify, simplify, simplify. I have difficulty with this but when I do it, even if just a small amount, it feels good, light, free. Creates space not only physically but mentally.
9. Be authentically you.
10. Travel, travel, travel. Even if just a day trip to another city, get away sometimes. It allows for a fresh outlook, renewed mind, refreshed energy.
11. Be in the moment.
12. Read. We never stop learning. I think I take in more now than ever.
13. Your life does not have to look like everyone else’s to be considered successful. Dare to be what makes you, you.
14. What other’s think of me is none of my business, especially if they cannot say it to me.
15. Love yourself first, no one will love you like you do.
16. Be responsible (duh).
17. Take that picture, no matter how lame, you never know. I would rather have it than wish I took it.
18. Drink wine often.
19. Eat like it is your last meal.
20. Love your body no matter that if fits society expectations.
21. Chill out, take a breath. You are doing just fine in this moment.
22. Life should flow. Yes there will be some rocks in the road but things within our span of control should not meet us with extreme resistance, confusion and difficulty if it were meant to be or meant to be right now. Let it flow naturally, do not force it. Take a step back and look at the big picture. Does it need to be done differently? Take a step back and look at the big picture when there is high resistance in a situation.
23. Go with your gut, instinct, intuition.
24. Be pretty, dress up and show up. Honor your womanhood and femininity.
25. Be open. Period.
26. Choose joy…this is big for me lately. I say it every time, ok almost every time I have a negative thought. I am working on it.
27. Never let them see you sweat (so cliche but I believe it is so true).
28. Be active. Whether you love exercise or hate it, find that one thing that you love to do and do it. Our one body is all we got.
29. Plan, then go with it.
30. Be curious. I recently heard Elizabeth Gilbert, author of “Eat, Pray, Love” mention this on Oprah and OMG did it resonate with me because I am just that curious. Now it makes sense, I have permission, regardless if it becomes something big or something small or nothing at all. Live through your curiosity, explore.
So there you have it! Thirty lessons learned.
I may have a few more by my fortieth. I will be posting, if not from this blog then definitely on Facebook and/or Instagram. Be sure to find me on 10/15/2015, I will be the one buying the drinks!!
Live life in style.